Thanksgiving Roasted Turkey
This is a very special treat for your family
- 12-20 lbs Turkey thawed if frozen see thawing instructions on package
- 1 Onion peeled and quartered
- 1 Lemon cut in quarters
- 1 Apple (any kind) cut in quarters
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Rosemary
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Thyme
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Sage
Herb Butter Rub
- 1 cup Unsalted Butter softened to room temperature
- 6-8 Garlic Cloves minced
- 1 tsp Salt
- 1/2 tsp Pepper
- 1/3 cup Fresh Italian Parsley chopped
- Remove the thawed turkey from the refrigerator 1 hour before roasting to let it come to room temperature and preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Make the Butter Herb Rub with the ingredients above and stir to mix well.
- Remove turkey from packaging and remove the neck and giblets from the inside the cavity, reserve them for gravy if wanted to make or discard them. Pat the turkey very dry with paper towels and insert a meat thermometer into the middle of the top of the turkey away from the bone.
- Stuff the cavity with the quartered Lemon, Onion and Apple and Parsley. Use your fingers to loosen and lift the skin above the breasts on the top of the turkey and smooth a few tablespoons of the herb butter underneath the skin and set the turkey on a roasting rack inside a roasting pan.